Monday, September 14, 2009

Japandroids: Turf Club review


Post-Nothing by the Japandroids is one of my favorite records of the year. The entire thing is perfect. From the melodies and lyrics to the little details of the vocal effects, the thing is flawless. It’s a nice, short little record that will always remind me of summer.
Japandroids played last night at the Turf Club in St. Paul. They started off quite well, although it could have been louder. They didn’t have the loud punch that the record gives off. I enjoy the distorted vocals on Post-Nothing and here we got very little distortion. I didn’t mind too much, but the vocals just weren’t as loud as they should have been. The band was full of energy, but their equipment was just very lacking.
I like how they explained their situation: Just because you heard of us, doesn’t mean we have tons of money. This is so true. With blogs giving buzz to so many bands, in the internet world they are huge. In real life they are not so huge. I was expecting this show to sell out, but there were only a handful of people there.
I am dying to find out the name of the cover they played. Their cover song blew me away. More so than any of their originals. Mainly because I was expecting a better sound like I am familiar with the record.
The band banter was entertaining, but got to be too long. People were throwing shoes and socks, which was quite funny. Then their guitar went to crap. Once they switched to the back-up guitar, the show went down hill…fast. They botched “Sovereignty” to the point where I felt embarrassed for them. It was quite hard to watch. The shotty equipment mixed with the band getting drunker was a turn for the worse. They were very apologetic though. To make up for it they played “I Quit Girls”, which they claim they have never played in the States before. It would have been cool, but they butchered that song too. Oh well, Can’t win them all. Hopefully they do better for the rest of the tour. If anyone knows that cover song, please post it!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it was Racer X by Big Black.

YEP said...

Erik and I were trying to figure out the song too....

I have a video of it, so when I have some time I am going to try to see if that was the song.

It is too bad they ended up fucking up at the end. Their set at Pitchfork this summer was awesome...which made the last half of this show even more disapointing.